As you know, I have explored several different writing tools and setups for books and blogs.
My current setup is iA Writer for writing — it used to be Ulysses or Sublime. Ulysses changed to a subscription form and in any case was hard to combine with my other pipeline, so those two issues combined moved me away from Ulysses. Sublime is a great editor for both coding and writing, but for some reason the keybindings on my laptop are different from the bindings on my desktop — and I haven’t figured out how to change that — and that annoyed me sufficiently to not use that editor for writing. So iA Writer it is.
For posting on this blog, I can send text and images directly from iA Writer to WordPress. For my books, I write Markdown files that I process with Pandoc and, for R books, knitr. I have a setup with Makefiles to handle that, and that works well. For my new R blog, I haven’t figured out the right workflow yet. I’m writing in RMarkdown, so some combination of iA Writer and knitr combined with Hugo is likely to be the solution. If I can get Blogdown to work, that would be great, but Makefiles usually work well for me if I don’t manage that.
Anyway, I am always interested in learning about new tools and new pipelines, and now Ferry Vermeulen from INSTRKTIV has sent me this list of resources. I haven’t explored it fully yet, but when I have a quiet moment I will see if there are tools there I absolutely have to try out.
What are your preferred writing tools? For blogging, papers or books?
For a while, I’ve been frustrated by the pains involved with showing R code on this blog. Compared to the simple Markdown syntax and the Markdown Pandoc pipeline I’ve used for my R books, displaying code here is really a drag.
Therefore, I have set up a blog dedicated to R programming on GitHub. That is where I will write about R—but if you want to get updated on the posts here, you can stay. I will link to new posts from here.
If you are only interested in R programming, and only listen to the other noise here to get to those good bits, you can just move over to the other blog and subscribe there.
Well, I got the signed contract for *Domain-specific Languages in R. My deadline for finishing it is April 1st and then it should get published in June. That shouldn’t be a problem—I have most of it done and just want to add two or three more chapters. Right now I have two example chapters planned and I might write a chapter on design patterns for DSLs.
Anyway, because I have now sold the book, I have to pull it from Gumroad. There are a few edits I want to do first. I found out today that the UQE function from the rlang package is getting deprecated, so I need to change the examples that uses it so the code is not deprecated when the book is out. I will do that tonight or tomorrow. Then, I will pull the book from Gumroad later in the week.
I have implemented a new R package that provides pattern matching functionality. Since I haven’t found any good way of displaying code on this WordPress blog, I will refer you to Medium where I have described it.